Sunday, November 4, 2012

11/4/12: Appreciate Each Day Because You Never Know When It Will Be Your Last



This past Monday, November 2nd, marked the 5th year anniversary of the death of my step brother, David Lieberman. How 5 years has passed by so quickly, I can hardly even begin to fathom. I remember the day like it was yesterday. It began as a beautiful, crisp, autumn day in Berkeley, but as I was walking through the beautiful campus to get to my Arabic class, I heard my telephone ring to the sound of my father's ringtone. I knew right away that something was not right; my father usually never called me in the middle of a work day unless something was really important. My first instinct was that something had happened to one of my grandparents, but nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to hear.

The days that followed passed in a blur of emotions, but I remember so vividly the outpour of love and affection from family and friends; a true testament of how wonderful and special David was. He accomplished so much to be proud of in the short time he was with us all, and his warm spirit, kindness, and generosity are remembered and reflected by his family and friends who love him so much. It's a comfort to know he is up there watching over us, and I think he'd be so proud of all the wonderful things going on in the lives of his family and friends.

So much has happened in five years since Dave's passing, including college graduations, big moves to israel, career changes, anniversaries, family visits, and so on, and no big event happens without fond and loving memories of David, who could not be with us in person. These years have brought our family so much closer to one another, and the fact that I was able to be here, in Israel, with my sister, Ida, to celebrate David's memory on the anniversary of his passing, is such an amazing thing. He would be so proud of her just like I am that she, like me, has found an exciting
new chapter in a place that is special to everyone in our family, and the fact that we are here together
means that no matter how far away we may feel from everything that is familiar to us, we will always be close to family.

Everyday as I get older, and everyday as I experience new things, I am constantly reminded how precious life is, and, on the other side, how very fragile it is. So many people take for granted what they have without thinking that at any moment they, or someone they love, might not be there anymore. Sometimes it is hard to tell the people you love the most just how much they mean to you, and it is usually those people that are the most taken for granted (a fault which I fall victim to more often than I care to admit), but my resolution to myself is that even though it may be hard to tell those we love how much they mean, I try not to miss the opportunity to show them (even despite being
thousands of miles away from home). Whether that means taking time to Skype every so often, or sending text messages just to say that I'm thinking about you, it's a start to making the people you care about know how much you love them.

I have learned a great deal from David's passing, and as my relationships become more serious both in terms of family and friends, I take these each and every lesson and try to apply them as often as possible. It is when you start to love people more than you love yourself that you really understand how life without them would not be half as wonderful as it is with them in it to share in everything that you are doing. So here's to David, the only brother I have ever known, and a wonderful step brother to both me and my sister. Your memory will live through those who loved you from now until the end of time. Rest in Peace my friend.




In other news, and speaking of people that we love and care deeply for, Stephane FINALLY returns home tomorrow after 3 months abroad! I can't even describe my excitement. I have no idea how I'll actually react when I see him, but I'm really hoping I don't start crying... It's something I could see myself doing which would probably completely embarrass him! I'm just so happy he will finally be home!!! only 15 hours left! But I'm not counting or anything :-)

Until we meet again <3,
Jordana Simone


No comments:

Post a Comment