Sunday, September 18, 2011

9/19/11: Presents, Demon Bugs, And A Farewell

Before I go into detailed descriptions of my Saturday and Sunday, I would like to take this time to say that I have finally finished my Aliyah application, am now waiting on just two more supplemental materials from back home in the States, and will hopefully be an American Israeli before the new year (secular new year, not Jewish new year)!!  I can't think of a better way to ring in 2012, and my 24th birthday just a few days after, than by gaining dual citizenship :-D. It's hard to believe that you can love a place more and more with every passing day, but, without fail, every new days brings with it a greater love for where I am.

When we last left off I had come from an amazing Shabbat dinner at Russ and Ariel's place, which proved to be a fantastic way to usher in the weekend. Saturday, as I have previously explained, is relatively quite in Israel so it is a perfect day to take advantage of Tel Aviv's many stunning beaches. This is Dana's last weekend here before she goes home for the chagim (holidays) so we decided to go to a beach she hasn't been to yet. Thinking that we would probably meet up with Ariel, Ben, and Russ at the beach, I thought it would be a good idea to go to Chof Hilton (Hilton Beach), since it is one Dana's has never been to, and one I know Ariel and Russ like to visit. Russ unfortunately couldn't join us, but Ben and Ariel met up with the two of us at the beach and we enjoyed a lovely afternoon. It was one of the hotter days we have had here in Tel Aviv so it was nice to escape the heat for a bit in the cool water. The company was great, relaxing on the beach was phenomenal, I enjoyed my time to Beten/Gav (tan), and I  even got a little darker (always a fun thing for me) :-).

After the beach Dana and I said our goodbyes to Ben and Ariel, and we were on our way back to Ramat Aviv. One thing about beach outings is that they knock you out for the rest of the day. Something about being out in the heat for too long, especially when you add 50% humidity to it, simply exhausts you. I got home, took a shower, ate some lunch, and then it was right to bed for me! After an amazing nap, that lasted far too long, I woke up, did some homework and then got ready to meet Russ for dinner. Luckily he likes sushi as much as I do because I, per usual, was craving my spicy tuna rolls! We walked to one of the many "villages" of Ramat Aviv and had a fantastic dinner. Afterwards, I said my goodnights and it was home to bed for me.

Lucky for me I took a million hour nap in the afternoon, because I got maybe 2-4 hours of sleep that night. I got home from dinner around 12, got into bed around 1, and then at 2 I woke up because I had to go to the bathroom. WELL... there was a lovely surprise guest waiting for me when I opened the bathroom door... Along with Israel having some of the best food, best landscapes, best business, and so on, she also has something I like to call "Demon Mutant Cockroaches on Steroids". These are not just ordinary cockroaches, O no, these are devil beasts that are probably 3 inches long, fat, dark brown, and, O... THEY FLY... Now, something to note about me: I can deal with spiders (I don't like them but I can deal with them); I can deal with moths (again, not my favorite, but I can manage to kill them or get them out); However, with cockroaches (of any kind, let alone the mutants), I have a panic attack and freeze. I literally stood there for a good 5 minutes hoping that I could magically acquire the ability to "will" the bug away. When I finally worked up the courage to exit the bathroom I ran so fast that I tripped and fell, probably woke up my suite mate, put a towel down near the crack in the bottom of my door just incase my unwelcome friend decided to pay my room a visit, and then spent the next 2-3 hours doing nothing but staring at my door thinking about where the devil bug was. By this morning he was gone (or in hiding), but I know that bastard is probably still in the apartment so I am ever on the alert.

I finally managed to get a little sleep, and then, by the grace of God, managed to drag myself out of bed to make it to my last Sunday of summer Ulpan. I can't believe 8 weeks has just flown by in the blink of an eye. It's unfathomable how fast time is going by here. When Ulpan was over I went to pick up a package that arrived from my mommy! I was ecstatic to get a present from home and loved seeing all the little goodies my mom and muzzy put in for me. After unpacking the package and seeing all my new things, I got some work done, skyped with the grandparents, and then it was off to say goodbye to Ben who is leaving Israel tonight to head back to the States.

After a few games of cards with the boys, a little dinner, and, of course, a lot of laughs, the four of us walked Ben to the train station near campus, said our goodbyes, and then headed back home. All in all, it was a wonderful weekend! It is crazy to believe that I only have one more weekend in Tel Aviv after this one, and then it is off to my gorgeous hotel in Jerusalem for a month!

Until tomorrow chaverim sheli! Lilah Tov <3,
Jordana Simone 

No comments:

Post a Comment