Tuesday, October 18, 2011

10/18/11: After 5 years, He Is Finally Home!

Gilad Shalit Reuniting With His Father

What an incredible day for Israel, and what an amazing time to be in this country! Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier who was captured by Hamas at the age of 19, and has been held in captivity ever since, has finally been returned home. Don't quote me on this but I think I remember reading that he is the first living prisoner Hamas has returned to Israel in over 26 years. 

I give so much thanks to God that tonight he will be sleeping in his own bed, in his own house, in his own country, surrounded by the love of his family, friends, community, and people all over the world who have rallied behind him since his capture 5 years ago. I am so profoundly happy that he is safe, in good health (for the most part), and can now begin his road to recovery with an unbeatable, unwavering support system. 

I understand that his release came at a very high price, but Israel saved a young man this week, and a mother and father were reunited with their child after 5 years in captivity. There is nothing more important and special than this, and Israel showed the world just how important the lives of her citizens are. No one can foresee the future impact of this prisoner swap, but I can only hope it goes in the direction of peace instead of violence. I might be too optimistic to think that this could be a step towards peace in the region, but I have to hope that it won't go the other way and lead to an insurgence of violence. As for right now, I can only think of how happy I am that Gilad has returned home safe and sound. What a blessing!!!!

Gilad Just Feet Away From His Home 


On a completely unrelated note, a HUGE HUGE HUGE happy birthday to my daddy! I love you and miss you and can't wait to see you when I'm home! 

Until next time,
Jordana Simone 

No comments:

Post a Comment