Wednesday, October 5, 2011

10/5/11: When You Have An Apartment To Yourself, Sometimes You Just Have To Sing!

Today I decided to leave work early and head back to Tel Aviv for Yom Kippur (the holiest day in Judaism). I have heard from many people that experiencing Yom Kippur in Tel Aviv is not to be missed. I don't quite know what to expect, but I'm very excited to be home. It really is astounding how different Tel Aviv is from Jerusalem (particularly East Jerusalem). When I am here it's easy to forget that I am in a Middle Eastern country. The call to prayer isn't ringing throughout my room, old buildings with stone walls are replaced by modern apartments and huge corporate towers, there are cafes, restaurants, and clubs on virtually every corner, and if the signs weren't in Hebrew, I'm sure people would feel as if they were in Europe or back in one of America's big cities.

When I got home I was ecstatic beyond belief to find that I had the apartment to myself, the common areas had recently been cleaned by a professional service, and I had plenty of food in the fridge for my weekend home. After an amazing 30 minute shower (I have to take advantage of my normal shower before going back to my tree stump in Jerusalem), I cooked dinner, lit some candles, and watched a movie. However, it has been quite some time since I have had the apartment all to myself, so I decided to pause the movie, put on some music, and sing my heart out...well, sort of. I can't really sing much in Jerusalem, where the walls are paper thin, and even here I can't really, as my dad would call it, "bust", because I don't want to upset neighbors, but I did what I could while I had an undisturbed apartment. I have missed singing so much, and while I was playing my Arabic music I was reminded of all those amazing times, 3 years ago, when I would sing to my cab drivers in Jerusalem, or play my music at the hookah bar I would frequent in the Old City.

It uplifts the soul to do what you love, and for me that is performing. Even though I don't have an audience yet, I love the thought that one day, hopefully soon, I will have people to listen to me, whether I be singing, or acting, or even speaking on the Middle East. It is an exciting road ahead in whatever I may be doing, and I am so lucky to have drive, passion, and amazing support from the people I love most. One day it will all pay off :-). Until then, however, I will continue working hard doing what I love, taking full advantage of life's possibilities, and living each day to the fullest. What else can you do ;-)

Just for fun, here is me goofing around! Enjoy! Or at least have a laugh!


Until Tomorrow! Lilah Tov Chaverim,
Jordana Simone

No comments:

Post a Comment